Please note: SUNY New Paltz does not officially support the use of GMail for use with our e-mail servers or accounts. We reserve the right to block access for users who are communicating especially sensitive information via e-mail.
Nevertheless, there are some faculty & staff who do currently use GMail for sending e-mail from their @newpaltz.edu address. If you do not set this up correctly, you risk having your e-mail marked as spam (by both the SUNY New Paltz e-mail servers, as well as other e-mail servers).
To set it up correctly, follow the steps below.
- Login to your GMail account.
- Click on Settings at the top right.
- Click on the Accounts tab.
- Click Add another email address you own.
- Enter your Name and your @newpaltz.edu e-mail address, then click Next.
- Select the option: "Send through newpaltz.edu SMTP servers."
- For the SMTP Server, enter: zmail.newpaltz.edu.
- Enter your Zimbra username & password in the appropriate fields.
- Check the Always use a secure connection box.
- Click Add Account.
- After doing so - you'll get an e-mail sent to you from the "Gmail Team" with a verification link that you will need to click on. Once you do so - the account is setup within GMail to correctly send mail from your @newpaltz.edu address.
Return to Main Help Index